My desk chair is really old. Not antique old, but seen its share of wear and tear kind of old. I bought it for $49.99 about 13 years ago. And it feels and looks like a chair that cost $49.99. But it has lasted this long. I think it just needs a little sprucing. Considering my latest obsession with nailhead trim….. Well, I’m sure you can figure it out.
My chair started off like this.
I had a grungy, old, ill-fitting slipcover on it. Not very attractive. But it was more attractive than the grungy upholstery that lie beneath. I threw out that slipcover and got out the upholstery cleaner. I tried to get every stain out. I just couldn’t, but it’s cleaner than it was!
I gathered up my supplies – fabric glue, fabric tape, upholstery tack, a rubber mallet, tape measure and marker.
I glued the fabric tape all around the bottom of the chair. I folded over the end and secured it to the back center of the chair.
Then I put small dots with my marker, 1 inch apart, around the base of the chair on top of the fabric trim.
Using the rubber mallet, I tapped a nail into each dot. It’s harder than it looks! Sometimes they bend and move. You should see the first 5 I did! (But I’m not showing you. You should only photograph on your good side!!) Once I got the hang of it, it went more smoothly.
All said and done, this whole project took about 30 minutes and cost about $10. And I am very happy with the way it turned out!
Now to tackle making the desk itself look presentable. Well, that’s another day…..