Is any one else out there losing their mind? Mine is long gone this holiday season and that is really unlike me. Usually I have a list of gifts for each and every person that I mark off as I purchase and even note where I have hidden it so I don’t forget! Not this year! I have barely scratched the holiday shopping surface. I definitely haven’t planned on what to serve for dinner on Christmas nor have I planned a little holiday gathering with friends that I normally do. The Christmas lights just went up this past weekend and not a single gift has been wrapped. And I have been thinking- How does one keep their sanity during the holidays? Here are a few tidbits I have gathered that may help.
- Get a manicure – I’m not sure why this is so effective. It’s like buying a new lipstick. It just makes you feel good. Every time you look down, your hands look pretty. Try to get some fun designs on there. It will make you feel festive!
- Order online – I mean, why wouldn’t you? It just gets delivered right to your door. No lines, no near misses with a shopping cart, no screaming children ( yours or someone else’s), no searching for a parking spot. It’s a beautiful thing!
- Avoid sugar – This one is so hard! But sugar just leads to a crash and then the cranky pants get put on and nobody is happy. Save the sugar for when you are well rested and not stressed.
- Just sit in front of the fire – it is meditative. Adding some tea and a fuzzy blanket helps. And a book or magazine. It’s almost better than a massage. Almost.
- Keep lists – Know what you have accomplished and what you have left to go. That way you can feel like you are making progress. It will also keep you organized. Which equals less stress.
- Go out (and not for shopping or a party) – Just grab lunch with a friend or a date with your significant other. No shopping and no holiday parties allowed! You need to destress, not feel like you have something to do.
- Enlist help – My kids love wrapping gifts. (They may not look pretty but it gets the job done.) My dad loves assembling things and cooking. My mom bakes. My husband, well, he knows when to stay out of the way. 🙂 All of these are as good as gold when trying to eliminate stress(image via Cannon School)
- Exercise – It may seem impossible to find time to do this but just walking the dog or stretching for 10 minutes will help. I promise!
Just enjoy the holidays. They can be stressful, yes, but no other time of the year can also bring so much joy to so many people. Count your blessings, hug the ones you love and keep your sanity.