All of the Christmas decorations have been taken down. It’s time to refresh and start anew for the new year. But how do you decorate for winter without it looking like Christmas? I have come up with 5 decorating rules that are good for winter decorating without your home looking like you never took down the Christmas decorations.
- Pine Cones always work! – Pine cones are a wonderful decorating item for winter. They can easily be scattered around the house to fill up bowls or crates or just dead space. I have been known to send my kids out with empty shopping bags and tell them to collect pine cones from the woods behind our house. It’s a great activity to get children outside.
2. Candles make it cozy. – Candles cast a warm glow that is inviting and relaxing. They make us feel warm and cozy and add ambience to any decor. I especially like grouping candles together. As one, they seem to glow like a fire in the fireplace.
3. Red Berries are nature’s decor. – This is the time of year when witch hazel and holly bushes show their bright red berries. So why wouldn’t you take a hint from nature and decorate with some red berries? They are the perfect winter decor, inside or out. Red berries add just the right touch of color to brighten up any winter space.
4. Antlers – You know how much I love to decorate with animal prints, right? Well, I love antlers just as much. And I think they are perfect for winter decor.
5. White – The color white is the color of snow. So why wouldn’t it be perfect for winter decorating? It keeps decor light and bright, even on the darkest of winter days. A snuggly white throw and some plush pillows make a gloomy winter day, happier.