January has come and gone. Have you stuck to your New Year’s resolutions so far? This is usually the time when people give up or forget what they were even planning on doing this year. So here’s your friendly reminder…. You had some resolutions. You should definitely follow through with them. You can do it.
I’ve listed 5 ways that help me stay on track. I hope they can help you too!
- Remind yourself of the WHY….. When you decided what your resolutions were going to be, you had a why. There was a reason you set that goal or decided to make that change. Remind yourself what that was. It always helps me to write in my journal or make a list. Then I can read it over and over to really get my whyengrained in my brain. It is always there for me to refer back to as well.
- Enlist some help…. There are lots of ways to do this. You have friends, family or lots of trainers and coaches that are available for hire. If you are having trouble sticking to your 2019 goals, ask someone to give you a kick in the pants. Your best friend can call you to see if you’ve quit drinking wine during the week. Your husband can remind you not to buy cookies at the store. It can even be a virtual kick in the pants. With weight loss apps and fitness apps and positivity apps, you can get that reminder from a total stranger. Or even better, with just a text message or reminder on your phone. It can really help you stay on track.
- Don’t give up…. Did you decide you were going to run a marathon this year? Or start your own business? Or lose 30 pounds? But now you’ve realized just how hard that is? DO NOT GIVE UP. Every great achievement starts with a single step. Want to run a marathon but can’t get past a mile? Set out to run a 5K first. Want to start your own business? Do a little at a time. You can’t quit your day job without a paycheck. Open an Etsy shop or sell something on Amazon. Write an e-book. Take the first step without thinking it’s all or nothing. If you want to lose weight, remember that each pound counts. Whatever your goal is, just remember…. You’ve got 11 months ahead of you!
- Adjust as you go…. Does that goal feel too hard right now? Or did an illness or injury stop you in your tracks? It’s OK to adjust your goals to fit your circumstances. Life happens. Stay focused on the bigger picture… the WHY of your resolutions and the positive mindset of “I can do this”. It will help you get through those roadblocks and make adjustments so that you can still achieve your goals.
- Forgive yourself…. We all mess up. We all go off track. We all want to give up occasionally. We all have days where we eat 3 donuts and take a nap. It’s OK. You are human. But forgive yourself. Tell yourself that tomorrow is another day. And then get back at it. Let go of your mess up or your set back. You can still achieve your goals and stick to your resolutions.